Thursday 28 February 2019

Why don't you identify the subjects?

I would very much prefer to be able to identify my subjects and relate interesting facts about their lifecycles, habits etc. Unfortunately I have had a life long problem of memory retention and recall. I can't remember the names of things, or information about them - types of cheese, football teams, film stars, pretty much anything. With only a handful of exceptions, for invertebrates I can only remember a few high level terms like "fly", "wasp", "bee" (and I can get those three confused), "spider" or "beetle". I occasionally use one of my books to identify an invertebrate, but a few minutes later it has gone from my mind. For flowers I have for 12 years depended on my wife to (repeatedly) tell me the names of particular plants that I have photographed when I need to know the name for a post I am doing. 

I suppose this is one reason why I think of my photography in terms of trying to create "pretty pictures", because that doesn't involve having to know anything about the subject matter - it is (for me) just to do with light, colours, shapes, lines, textures etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment