Monday 4 February 2019

SX10 - Invertebrates


All of these were captured using minimum aperture of f/8, equivalent to full frame f/45 in terms of depth of field and loss of sharpness/detail from diffraction.

First, one of my favourite subjects, a Dung Fly. I think they look great. I might have previously encountered one in our garden, but there were lots at one of the nature reserves. There have not been so many there recently, but still enough to be able to find one or two quite easily.

Click on an image to see a larger version

Available light. 1/10 sec.
Next, one of my all time favourite invertebrate images. I found this wasp mimic Nomad Bee wandering around the foliage on a Spirea bush and took some photos as it moved around. Quite soon it grabbed hold of a leaf edge with its mandible and it stayed put, for ages. It was in a great position - I could get at it from both sides. The air was completely still. The light was good. I spent a huge amount of time photographing it.


Available light. 1/30 sec.

One of the smallest subjects I tackled in this period.


Flash

I would occasionally see invertebrates at key stages in their lives. Shedding its old skin ...


Available light. 1/60 sec.

.... mating ...


Available light. 1/200 sec.

.... giving birth ...


Available light. 1/40 sec.

... being predated ... 


Flash

... or just moments that are unusual to see.


Available light. 1/50 sec

Most of my invertebrate images were of the whole subject, from almost filling the frame to only a small proportion of the frame. I rarely went in closer for shots like this one. This was also unusual in that it was a stack of two shots. I did only a handful of stacks until a couple of years ago. I have no recollection of what I used to make the stack.


Flash

And occasionally I simply thought an invertebrate image looked quite pretty.


Available light. 1/20 sec.

No comments:

Post a Comment